Medication Administration & Validation Course
For unlicensed direct care staff serving clients with developmental disabilities in group homes, adult day programs, foster and family homes, independent and supported living, and any other place that clients receive APD services. This course is designed to train and certify unlicensed staff who work with clients of the Agency for Persons with Disabilities (APD) to safely assist clients with their medications.
To familiarize participants with the procedural aspects of Florida Administrative Rule Chapter 65G-7
How do I become Medication Assistance Provider (MAP) (MedTech)?
Steps to becoming a MAP:
1. Take the Basic Medication Administration Training (this course), including passing validation for otic, transdermal, topical by simulation.
2. Take the test, and pass – receive certificate
3. In an on-site setting with actual clients and their medications, successfully demonstrate your skills with a Validation Trainer – receive certificate
Fee: 30$ for course 20$ for validation
1. Take the Basic Medication Administration Annual Update, pass, get certificate – on-line, or in Update provided by APD Regional Office
2. Revalidate with a Validation Trainer – receive certificate
To complete this course, you must:
• Be present the entire time the course is being taught.
No texting, browsing, reading on electronic devices!
• Obtain a score of 85% or above on the course content section of the exam.
• Obtain a score of 100% on the Medication Administration Record (MAR) section of the exam.
• Take the two-part, Agency-provided exam within 3 calendar days of completing this training.
• Validate your skills by simulation on the otic (ear), transdermal, and topical routes of medication administration.